Mascara is one of those makeup items that dries up the fastest and many women go through at least one tube of mascara a month. Before you throw away the next tube, make sure to look at these wonderful uses of mascara wands that will help you reuse the product in a different form! You can clean the mascara brushes with the help of some coconut oil or makeup remover and can use them in these ways instead-
1. Grow those lashes by applying some castor oil to the entire length of the eyelashes before going to bed. A mascara brush will allow you to evenly coat the lashes and to reach the roots with ease. You will see visible results within a week!
2. Love the formula of your new mascara but hate the wand? You can use the product with an old brush that you like instead. If the cap doesn’t fit on this tube then this might become a little tedious but will provide you with fabulous lashes!
3. Use double the action for double the drama. After applying mascara, if you notice some clumps then you can use a clean mascara brush to get rid of them and to evenly distribute the product. As an added bonus, this extra step helps to make your lashes look more dramatic too.
4. Nail the brow game by using a clean mascara brush to remove excess brow powder. A small mascara brush can also be used to groom the eyebrows when a waxing appointment is long overdue.
These are some excellent ways to use your favorite mascara brushes even after the product is all gone. Next time, think twice before throwing away your empties!
Have you ever been bothered by the amount of money you spend on your waxing appointments? Such a recurring expenditure might be concerning for many. Also, booking an appointment and clearing your schedule for the same is quite inconvenient. Another problem faced by some people is that if the wax is even a tad too hot, they suffer from a lot of ingrown hair after waxing.
Shaving and hair removal creams are good alternatives for affordable hair removal at home, but their effects are short-lived and you will be greeted by a sharp stubble within a few days. I personally prefer the Veet Full Body Waxing Kit to get rid of my body hair whenever I want to.
This handy kit contains 20 wax strips (2 strips are stuck together to protect the waxy side), and 4 oil wipes to remove the wax and hydrate the skin post waxing. You need to rub each pair of strips between your hands to warm the wax and then you can proceed with waxing as per the usual method. These wax strips effectively remove the hair and one strip stays sticky for up to 4-5 applications. Therefore, I never need more than 8 strips for my legs and arms. Since this kit of 20 strips is priced at INR 170, you can do the math to see how much more affordable they are as compared to a waxing session in a salon.
A few tricks that will help you with effective hair removal are to always place the strip in the direction of the hair growth and pull back in the opposite direction. Everybody’s hair grows differently, so make sure to follow the growth of your hair. Secondly, pull off the strips in one swift motion to ensure that all the hair is removed. Thirdly, if some stubborn hairs are not budging then bring out your tweezers and pluck them out. Lastly, store these strips in a relatively cool place to ensure that they don’t get overly sticky. If you follow these simple tips then you will get super smooth skin at home.
I find that this kit gives me comparable results to salons, with lesser pain and irritation. It helps to remove the dead skin and tan as well. The only issue is that since two strips are stuck together you can’t use an odd number of strips, and sometimes while you are working with one strip, the other one flies away! Other than this minor problem, I find that this waxing kit is perfect for regular use and also for touch-ups when you are too busy or traveling.
I hope that these tips and the review were useful. Buy the Veet Full Body Waxing Kit here.
If you want to keep only one eyeshadow in your makeup collection then go for a brownish golden shade. This color is the most flattering on all skin tones and can be applied all over the lid for a simple eye makeup look. Here is a look that I created in less than 2 minutes, using only two products, a bronze eyeshadow and an eyeliner.
This look is so simple yet versatile. You can wear it to work or even to a party with a nice lipstick. If you have sensitive eyes or do not like shimmer in general then you can opt for a matte brown or bronze shade instead. However, I personally prefer some subtle shimmer.
I used the Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in the shade 25 Bad To The Bronze for this look. This eyeshadow has been a favorite of beauty bloggers for several years. It comes in a pot full of almost solid, cream eyeshadow that blends beautifully with the fingers. It sticks to the lids and does not budge all day, no primer needed. You can use it on its own all over the lid or can also use it as a base color for more elaborate looks.
I highly recommend investing in a pigmented cream eyeshadow that does not require any fancy tools for application. Just add a touch of eyeliner and your makeup will look so put together without requiring any effort at all. This is my trick for the hectic days when I can’t spend more than 5 minutes in getting ready.
I hope that this makeup tip was useful. Buy the Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in Bad To The Bronze here.
Summer has arrived early this year in India and I already find myself reaching for my face wash more often. I have been meaning to try the Cetaphil face wash for oily and acne-prone skin for quite some time now, however, my local pharmacy did not have it in stock. I had to settle for the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser instead, which is recommended for all skin types.
This product cleanses the skin without leaving it dry. It does not contain any irritating ingredients and the mild formula is suitable for sensitive skin. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed and soft and is excellent for removing the sweat without stripping the natural oils from the face. However, it does not help much with reducing oil generation, which is the primary concern for my acne-prone skin. If you want a product that helps with blemishes and pimples then this one is not meant for you. You can probably use some face wash that is formulated for oily skin in the mornings and nights and can use this one if you feel the need to wash your face during the day. Its gentle formula is perfect for unclogging the pores that suffer from heat and humidity. Those with dry skin can use this as a regular face wash, without any need for another product.
I also love the packaging of this face wash, it comes with a flip lid that prevents leakage and the wide bottle avoids the wastage of the product stuck at the bottom. The consistency is slightly thick and jelly-like which is also great for traveling. Moreover, you can use this product without water by simply wiping it off with a tissue. If you are out and about then this trick makes cleaning the face very simple, although I prefer using water. Priced at INR 215 for a 125 ml bottle, I think this is the perfect summer cleanser for those with dry skin.
I hope that this review was helpful. You can but this face cleanser here.
I will definitely try out the Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser and will report back to you guys.
I recently used the Nivea After Shave Balm as a primer for a makeup look and loved the result so much that I decided to dedicate an entire post to this discovery. Several beauty gurus have showered praise upon this product for its priming properties and they are absolutely right! This balm has a semi-fluid consistency and a few drops are sufficient for covering the entire face. The key property is the sticky texture which allows the foundation to adhere to the skin and makes it stay in place the entire day. The stickiness might feel a little uncomfortable upon application but once you apply the makeup it will be fine.
The mild fragrance may seem a little manly but disappears within a few minutes. This is an extremely affordable alternative to a regular primer and is priced at only INR 235 for a 100ml bottle, which will definitely last you for months. It might not be able to mask giant pores but extends the longevity of makeup by hours while hydrating the skin. Additionally, this product is designed for sensitive skin and does not contain alcohol. So save your money and try this balm instead of splurging on high-end primers. I promise that it will not encourage the growth of facial hair 🙂
Hey everyone, how is the weekend going? You guys are the best when it comes to providing ideas for new posts, and this one is based on a suggestion from the lovely Sanchali (check out her blog here). Sanchali requested that I write a post about creating a natural finish using mineral makeup and wanted to know what are the products readily available in India which can be used for the same. Now, I do not have a lot of mineral makeup and I am definitely not a makeup artist, therefore I did my own version of the look and have used a combination of mineral makeup and pressed powder products.
The look that I have gone for couples nude glossy lips and brown toned eye makeup with smooth, glowing skin and a soft blush.
Here is a step by step description of how to recreate this look:
Step 1: Prime and Conceal
There are two golden rules that you need to follow when you work with powders. The first one is that powders need a base to stick to, therefore you must moisturize and prime your skin really well. I used a very unique product as a primer today, I went with the Nivea After Shave Balm for men! You may be surprised about this but it works as a really effective primer and is so affordable.
The second golden rule is to never apply cream products on top of powders. I needed to conceal a few blemishes on my skin, therefore I applied my favorite Loreal True Match Concealer (N4-5) to my primed skin before moving on to the mineral foundation.
I do not like overly pink blushes for my skin tone, therefore I mixed the blush and the bronzer shade from my Makeup Revolution Protection Palette in Medium. This combo gave a natural blush to my cheeks. Again, I used a Real Techniques brush to apply these products.
Step 4: Eye Shadow
I wanted a soft brown look for my eyes. I first applied the True Match concealer to my lids so that the powders would adhere to the skin. I then applied the bronzer shade from my Makeup Revolution palette to the whole lid and added a layer of the highlighter shade from the same palette, for a little bit of shimmer. I then created a brown eyeliner by using a wet brush to apply the dark brown shade from my Wet n Wild Comfort Zone Palette to the lash line.
This is the most important step if you want to get a glowing and natural finish with mineral/powder makeup. To prevent your skin from looking dry or cakey, use liberal amounts of a setting spray or facial mist. I have used the Loreal Paris Infallible Setting Spray but you can use any facial spray that you have at hand. This last step makes the makeup blend into the skin and gives a healthy shine to the face.
And that is it! It may seem a little lengthy but the actual application took me only 15 minutes. I am also linking all the products so that you can purchase whatever you like, however, you can easily recreate this look with any similar products that are available. Just remember the two golden rules and invest in good makeup brushes and a setting spray.
This post is dedicated to all the men who try to buy the perfect present for the women in their lives and also to anyone else who does not know much about makeup but wishes to gift something to a beauty lover. Here are 5 tips that will help you select a great and useful makeup item for the beauty addicts that you love.
1. Stay away from face products- It would be best to stay away from foundations, concealers, highlighters, bronzers and blushers because all these products need to be matched with the exact skin tone of the wearer. A slight mismatch in the shade can give horrible results and render the products useless, so go for these only if you know the exact shade that your friend uses from that brand.
2. Nail Polish is a savior- If your friend usually flaunts colors on her nails then you can’t really go wrong with a nice nail paint. Make sure to gift her a shade from a color family that she normally prefers. For example, if you often see her wearing pink on her nails then try to look for a shade of pink that she does not own.
3. Lipsticks bring a smile to the face- A humble lipstick is also quite a safe option to go for. Here too you will need to keep in mind the color choices of your friend. Keep an eye out for the lipsticks that she carries in her handbag, you can select a different shade from the same range. However, do not give her a bright red if she likes neutral lip shades.
4. Listen to her needs- Almost every beauty lover is always ranting about an amazing eyeshadow palette or lipstick that is so good but so expensive. Make a note of such wistful rants and you will know exactly what to buy for her on her next birthday. Just make sure that she hasn’t purchased the same for herself already!
5. Gift Cards are failproof- The easiest way to get out of this quandary is to give her a gift card for a beauty store that she likes to frequent, say Sephora. To add a more personal touch to this present, take her to the store or sit with her while she peruses their website.
These are some tips that will surely leave your friend surprised, impressed and super happy. The key is to pay attention to her style and notice what colors she leans towards. For the UK residents, Mother’s Day is around the corner so hopefully, these suggestions will help you out. Good luck with the shopping!
We all have those days when our throat hurts, our eyes burn, and our nose is clogged but we still have to make it to work. When all we want to do is snuggle up in a blanket with a hot water bottle then how to look good is the last thing on our minds. However, a little effort will make you feel fresher and less miserable. Here are 5 hacks that will make you look more presentable on a sick day when you are forced to face the world.
1. Dry Shampoo- If you are down with a cold then chances are that your hair hasn’t been receiving much love. Spritz some dry shampoo on your roots to give a bounce to your locks. This trick will make you feel instantly cleaner and more put together.
2. Scarf It Up- Sticking to comfortable clothing is essential on a sick day. A colorful scarf will help brighten up your outfit and your mood while keeping you warm too. It will make you look smart without compromising on the snug factor.
3. The Lip Balm Trick- Some of the most annoying side effects of a cold are chapped lips and painfully dry skin near the nostrils. You can use a lip balm or some petroleum jelly to keep your lips and your nose moisturized all day. Using a lip balm to hydrate the nose is extremely handy when you are out and about.
4. Long Lashes- Even if you don’t apply any makeup to your face, curling your lashes will make your tired eyes look so much more alive. If you are up for it then you can even apply a coat of waterproof mascara to give that extra length to the lashes and to draw attention away from the dark circles.
5. Peppermint Perfume- A perfume with a minty scent won’t only make you smell nice but will also help to unblock your nose. You can even rub a little peppermint essential oil on your wrists and throat to carry around an invisible decongestant with you.
These are some of the tips that help me survive a sick day at work without looking like an absolute wreck. Hope you find these helpful too!
There isn’t a single infant in my family but you can still find a tube of baby cream in each room of my house. “Why?”, you may ask. Simply because it is extremely gentle and has so many diverse uses. Here are 5 unconventional uses of baby cream that make this tiny tube an absolute essential for my makeup bag.
1. Relief from Rashes – Be it itchy rashes in your nether regions due to menstrual pads or the painful line left behind by tight trousers, baby cream will definitely provide instant relief. Just slather the creamy formula on irritated skin for a calming effect. The rash will disappear within a few hours.
2. Hair Mask – Believe it or not, baby cream can also double up as an amazing hair mask. This trick comes in handy when you are travelling and do not wish to carry too many products with you due to risks of spillage. Apply some cream to the ends of your hair and rinse thoroughly after 10-15 minutes for smooth and luscious locks.
3. Foot Cream- For super soft feet, douse them with generous amounts of baby cream and leave it on all night. Wear a pair of socks to bed to seal the moisture in place. You will wake up to baby smooth feet. This is yet another great use for baby cream, to rejuvenate the tired feet while travelling.
4. Overnight Lip Treatment- If you develop rough, blackened patches on the lips then applying a thin layer of baby cream before going to bed might be really helpful. The lips will become incredibly soft in a few days and the pigmentation will also disappear.
5. Solution for Scaly Skin- Sometimes, you may develop scaly skin as a result of drastic climate change or an allergic reaction. In such scenarios, application of baby cream to the affected areas, twice a day, will alleviate the symptoms within a few days. However, make sure not to apply the cream to broken skin.
Baby cream is a great travelling companion because it combines the efficacy of a lot of different products, thereby reducing the volume of liquids you need to pack. It is an inexpensive cure for an array of beauty issues, which is safe for sensitive skin as well. Next time, do give baby cream a shot before reaching out for costlier products.