When it comes to makeup, each year brings some unique trends and I thought of recreating a few of them for you. I am starting off this series of the hot makeup trends of 2017 with a tutorial on how to create the bitten lips effect. If you are not aware of this trend, it is basically a gradient of color created on the lips, with the center of the lips being the darkest and the outer boundaries being quite pale. This trend gives a natural flush to the lips, as opposed to applying a bold color all over them. Here are a few simple steps with the help of which you can recreate this trend at home using only two products.
Step 1 – To make the color gradient more striking, you need to start with a pale base to work on. If you have naturally pale or light lips then you can skip this step but if you have darker or pigmented lips then apply a thin coat of concealer that matches the color of your skin. Place a few drops of concealer on the lips and gently pat them in with your fingers to get rid of any darkness.
Step 2- Now, apply a dark pink or red lip color of your choice to the central portion of your lips. You can either choose a dark lip tint, a matte lipstick, or a lipliner for this step. Make sure that the formula does not dry down immediately and gives you some time to blend the color. I used the Wet n Wild Color Icon Lip Liner in the shade Berry Red for this step.
Step 3 – With the help of a cotton bud, gently spread the color outwards to create a natural gradient. You want to leave the center of the lips darker than the edges but make sure that the edges don’t look too pale. If you feel that the color is too dark then you can apply a dab of concealer to the edges to create the perfect contrast. And, there you go! Your bitten lips are ready! I would recommend pairing this lip look with nude makeup for a soft effect.
Isn’t it amazing that you can create a look that has taken international runways by storm with just two affordable products? Do let me know if you try to recreate this look and share the pictures with me too 🙂 I will be back soon with my rendition of some of the other hot makeup trends from 2017!
If you want to keep only one eyeshadow in your makeup collection then go for a brownish golden shade. This color is the most flattering on all skin tones and can be applied all over the lid for a simple eye makeup look. Here is a look that I created in less than 2 minutes, using only two products, a bronze eyeshadow and an eyeliner.
This look is so simple yet versatile. You can wear it to work or even to a party with a nice lipstick. If you have sensitive eyes or do not like shimmer in general then you can opt for a matte brown or bronze shade instead. However, I personally prefer some subtle shimmer.
I used the Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in the shade 25 Bad To The Bronze for this look. This eyeshadow has been a favorite of beauty bloggers for several years. It comes in a pot full of almost solid, cream eyeshadow that blends beautifully with the fingers. It sticks to the lids and does not budge all day, no primer needed. You can use it on its own all over the lid or can also use it as a base color for more elaborate looks.
I highly recommend investing in a pigmented cream eyeshadow that does not require any fancy tools for application. Just add a touch of eyeliner and your makeup will look so put together without requiring any effort at all. This is my trick for the hectic days when I can’t spend more than 5 minutes in getting ready.
I hope that this makeup tip was useful. Buy the Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in Bad To The Bronze here.
Holi, the Indian festival of colors, is round the corner and if you are planning to partake in the celebrations then here are 5 tips that will ensure that you have a safe experience.
1. Protect your skin with coconut oil- Before you go out to play with colors, apply a generous amount of coconut oil on your body. This will protect your skin and hair from the colors by creating a film that will also prevent allergic reactions.
2. Prevent staining of the nails- If you do not want your nails to get stained with the colors then apply a coat of nail polish before you head out. Once you are done with the festivities then remove the nail polish with any remover. The Holi colors will come off along with the nail paint, leaving your nails perfectly clean.
3. Buy/Make natural colors, in bulk- A great trick to avoid harmful chemicals is to use natural colors. However, you cannot force others to do the same. A good way to encourage everyone to use natural colors is to volunteer to supply these for the event in your neighborhood. This small contribution will ensure a safe Holi for you and your friends.
4. Keep food items uncontaminated- If you are organizing a Holi party then ensure that the food table is away from the area of the festivities. Keep the food items covered and provide clean water and towels near the dining area so that the color does not contaminate the food. This is a simple trick to avoid ingestion of harmful substances.
5. Be prepared for small accidents- Carry along a waterproof pouch with tissues, cotton pads, wet wipes and a small bottle of water. This way, if some color accidentally enters your eyes or ears then you can use these items to get rid of it quickly.
These are my tips and tricks to stay safe while enjoying this lovely festival. I wish you all a great Holi. Hope you have a lot of fun with your dear ones.
Happy International Women’s Day everyone! Although I am not in favor of singling out one day to celebrate womanhood, but since the damage is already done, let us talk about a topic that baffles a lot of women around the world. Yes, I am referring to the dilemma of how to look good without any makeup. So here are a few tricks and hacks that will make you feel more confident in your own skin and will help you celebrate your natural beauty.
1. Get rid of the redness- Concealer is one of those makeup items that most women find it hard to step out without. However, there are some easy ways to get rid of the redness caused by pimples. Ice your skin for 5-10 minutes to gain back your uniform skin tone. If you have more time at hand, then apply some toothpaste to the acne for at least a couple of hours. This will shrink the pimples and reduce the redness too.
2. Emanate a natural glow- Brightening foundations are not the only way to provide a radiance to the face. Every morning, after washing your face, massage your skin for 10-15 minutes with a good moisturizer. This will restore the healthy glow of your skin and will offer a lovely color to the cheeks.
3. Pump up the volume- Hair sprays and mousses are great for providing volume but they cause a lot of damage to the hair with long term usage. A simple way to achieve voluminous hair is to brush them upside down and then flip them upwards. This trick literally doubles the volume of my hair. If you always brush your hair upside down then they will retain a natural bounce without the help of any products.
4. Bye-bye eye bags- Puffy eye bags are every woman’s worst enemy. A great way to eliminate these without investing in expensive products is to apply a cold metal spoon to the under eye area. Keep the spoon in the freezer for some time and then place on your eye bags for a few minutes, your eye bags will disappear instantly!
5. Hydrate on the go- Facial mists are essential to reverse the damage of heat and humidity, especially when you are out and about. Instead of purchasing a costly facial spray, use a natural spray made solely out of rose water. This has cooling and hydrating properties and will keep the signs of tired skin at bay. Rose water makes for a great toner too.
These are some tips that will bring out your natural beauty and will remove the dependence on makeup. Remember, applying makeup should be a personal choice and not an obligation.
We all have those days when our throat hurts, our eyes burn, and our nose is clogged but we still have to make it to work. When all we want to do is snuggle up in a blanket with a hot water bottle then how to look good is the last thing on our minds. However, a little effort will make you feel fresher and less miserable. Here are 5 hacks that will make you look more presentable on a sick day when you are forced to face the world.
1. Dry Shampoo- If you are down with a cold then chances are that your hair hasn’t been receiving much love. Spritz some dry shampoo on your roots to give a bounce to your locks. This trick will make you feel instantly cleaner and more put together.
2. Scarf It Up- Sticking to comfortable clothing is essential on a sick day. A colorful scarf will help brighten up your outfit and your mood while keeping you warm too. It will make you look smart without compromising on the snug factor.
3. The Lip Balm Trick- Some of the most annoying side effects of a cold are chapped lips and painfully dry skin near the nostrils. You can use a lip balm or some petroleum jelly to keep your lips and your nose moisturized all day. Using a lip balm to hydrate the nose is extremely handy when you are out and about.
4. Long Lashes- Even if you don’t apply any makeup to your face, curling your lashes will make your tired eyes look so much more alive. If you are up for it then you can even apply a coat of waterproof mascara to give that extra length to the lashes and to draw attention away from the dark circles.
5. Peppermint Perfume- A perfume with a minty scent won’t only make you smell nice but will also help to unblock your nose. You can even rub a little peppermint essential oil on your wrists and throat to carry around an invisible decongestant with you.
These are some of the tips that help me survive a sick day at work without looking like an absolute wreck. Hope you find these helpful too!
There are two opposing schools of thought regarding whether or not one should stick to the same skincare and haircare products for a lifetime. The first school of thought recommends being loyal to the products that have worked for you over time and not confusing your skin with new ingredients. The second one suggests that moving on to different products after every few months will help because the skin stops responding well when it gets used to a particular product.
I am living proof that there is some truth in the second theory. I have noticed that I stop getting the same results when I continue to use a product for a long time. For example, a shampoo that used to make my hair look lovely starts leaving behind an oily residue and a face wash that had completely cleared up my skin is no longer able to fight acne. I have found the perfect way to battle this resistance that my body develops towards my favorite products.
Taking a cue from the first theory that is against confusing the skin with random formulations, I have devised a middle ground solution for the problem at hand. I note down the primary ingredients of my favorite shampoos and skincare products and then look for other brands that offer a similar formula. This way, I keep circulating between products that are different but fundamentally similar. Whenever I notice that a product is not performing as well as it did before, I switch to a similar alternative. Therefore, I do not have to bid a permanent goodbye to some amazing products and am able to maintain the health of my hair and skin too.
Of course, if you are lucky enough to get consistent results from the same product then you do not have to spend time and effort on this exercise. However, if your skin behaves like mine then you may benefit from this tip.
If your high-quality makeup is still not able to provide you the flawless finish that you desire then chances are that this is due to the lack of good blending tools. A great makeup brush or sponge is absolutely essential for blending the product perfectly, to achieve a smooth finish. A poor quality makeup brush makes foundation look streaky and patchy, especially if it is a high coverage foundation with a thicker consistency. Eyeshadow will also sit oddly on the skin if not blended properly.
The sign of a good makeup brush is that it will not shed and will be soft enough to not leave marks of the brush strokes on the skin. My personal favorites are the brushes from Real Techniques and Zoeva. They may be a little expensive but, unlike makeup, will last for many years if you take good care of them and wash them regularly. This Real Techniques Mini Brush Trio was originally priced at INR 1100 but was heavily discounted on Amazon and ended up costing me only INR 500. The quality of the mini brushes is exactly the same as that of the original ones, only the handles are shorter. Those who want to find out what the fuss is all about can opt for this kind of a kit and I am sure that they will never look back.
As I have mentioned several times before, I have fairly sensitive eyes. Therefore, I shy away from waterproof mascara because it tends to irritate my eyes during removal. Unless it is a special occasion, I prefer a lighter non-waterproof mascara that provides some volume and length without being too clumpy. The Maybelline Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara is my favorite for daily wear because it delivers on all these fronts.
The formula provides reasonable volume and length but has less hold as compared to the waterproof variant from this range. It is not very curling but that can be rectified by using an eyelash curler before application. I love this mascara primarily for the volume that it provides without being too clumpy. A single coat will give a very natural look that is easily buildable to a dramatic flutter with 2-3 coats. I also like the thick wand with the bristles because these seem to apply the product quite evenly on the lashes.
The longevity of this mascara is great and it lasts on my lashes for more than 8 hours. Despite this, it is super easy to remove and easily comes off with just water. It is a great drugstore mascara that is priced at INR 400 but is usually available online at around INR 350. I would also recommend the waterproof version for a butterfly like flutter and a stronger curling action.
Red lipsticks are very tricky to wear and choosing the right shade and formula can be an arduous exercise. From bleeding to staining the teeth, red lipstick goes everywhere! The Maybelline Colorshow red lipsticks are drugstore classics, and my favorite is the shade Big Apple Red (206).
The color of this lipstick is perfect for me, it is red but not too over the top and has very faint hints of pink that help the teeth look whiter and provide a softer effect. It looks a bit orangey in the bullet but on the lips it is more of a pink toned red that is very versatile and goes with a lot of outfits. The formula is a comfortable matte that lasts forever! It fades gradually but the color still stays on after 8 hours and multiple rounds of eating and drinking. It may bleed a little but that is true for any red lip color and something that can easily be rectified with a red lipliner. To top it all it smells like yummy candy!
Priced at INR 325 for 3.9 gms, this lipstick definitely qualifies as a beauty bargain. Also, if this shade is not up your street, there are several other color options in the same formulation to choose from! When it comes to drugstore lipsticks, you can’t really go wrong with the Maybelline Colorshow range 🙂
A couple of you commented on my Valentine’s Day makeup post that you really liked the lip color, so I decided to write a dedicated post about it. I was wearing the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in the shade 225 Sultry, a perfect pink for Valentine’s Day.
I have already reviewed another shade from this range in a previous post but this particular shade looks much more flattering on a wider range of skin tones. Sultry has the minty smell and tingling sensation that is characteristic of this range but is more creamy and forgiving than the shade Elusive.
The color is a deep, dusty pink that is an almost nude pink for my skin tone. The fact that the formula lasts for at least 6 hours on the lips makes it ideal for when you are out and about. It is perfect for both work and play and pairs well with a wide selection of outfits. Bear in mind that this is a matte formula that demands moisturized and scrubbed lips to work its magic.
I must say that the folks at Revlon know how to get their lip products right. There is not one lip product from the brand that has disappointed me yet.
Grab this lip crayon for INR 950 to recreate this romantic look for Valentine’s Day. It is a must have color for the upcoming spring and summer months!
I try to keep my makeup as organized as possible and clean my makeup drawer from time to time. Sorting out your makeup storage area not only helps to keep things neat but also reminds you of all the stuff you have and what you need to buy (and not buy!). Here is a sneak peek into my makeup drawer.
I have organized all my lip products, eye makeup and face makeup in 3 separate shoe boxes. This helps me grab products quickly in the morning and the shoe boxes serve as very inexpensive storage options. The boxes can even be taped up securely when you move house, without any extra packing effort.
My hair pins and ties are in a few of the makeup bags that I receive from makeup subscription companies like FabBag, so they are almost free of cost as well. I make sure to have a few empty makeup pouches at an arm’s length, for throwing my favorite makeup into when I have to travel.
For my jewelry and other items, I retain small boxes from the packaging of the products that I purchase online. These boxes come in really handy for storing earrings and rings. Other than that, I have a few loose bottles and baubles stuffed in the crevices, because such is life. Overall I’m quite happy with my makeup drawer because it is reasonably neat and functionally efficient.
Do you spot a favorite product or something you want to be reviewed? Let me know in the comments!