So Valentine’s Day came and went by and I did not post a Valentine’s Day look. This was because I was busy adulting on the actual day, however, the hubby and I did manage to sneak in a V-day date the weekend after, and here is what I wore to our better-late-than-never-Valentine’s date.
Since the weather is still fluctuating between chilly and warm, I chose to wear this pink knitted swing dress from Shein.in (purchase link). I chose the size XS, which was a little loose for me, I belted it in the picture for a better fitting, but it can be worn without a belt for a casual day out when you prefer a comfier outfit.
I kept the makeup simple because I was heading out during the day. Keeping with the Valentine’s theme, I went for a soft pink look. On my lips I wore the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in the shade Zurich, and on my eyes I used the frosty pink Browbone shade from the Wet n Wild Petal Pusher Palette. I deepened the crease with the bronzer shade from the Makeup Revolution Protection Palette in the shade Medium and added a thin wing and mascara, and voila, I was done. I did not use a foundation and just dabbed some Maybelline Fit Me Concealer on my spots and under eye area because I wanted my skin to breathe. I was quite happy with the finished look for the daytime, and would definitely wear the look again for a Sunday brunch.
I hope that you liked this simple look for an easy breezy day out. This is perfect for when you do not want to wear a full face of makeup but don’t want to head out sans makeup either. What is your go-to look for an afternoon outing? What did you do for V-day? Let me know in the comments below!
Dry Shampoos are a lazy girl’s best friend! Well, in fact, they are everybody’s best friend because shampooing your hair too frequently can strip them of their natural oils and mess up your whole scalp chemistry. Dry shampoo, on the other hand, will soak up the excess grease that has accumulated on the roots and will restore some bounce to unwashed 2nd or 3rd-day hair. All my adult life, I have been a loyal Batiste girl and have gone through innumerable spray cans of their dry shampoos, but the BBlunt dry shampoo is the only other product that comes really close in performance to the Batiste ones. I received the BBlunt Back To Life Dry Shampoo in the fragrance Spring Fling as a giveaway price (which did arrive MONTHS after the results were announced, but oh well, better late than never). Here are my thoughts on this beauty in a bottle.
This dry shampoo is in the form of a very finely milled white powder that emanates some pleasant floral scents. A little product goes a long way, so spray a little bit on your roots, work it in with your fingers, and brush out the excess. This will keep your hair looking freshly washed and bouncy for at least 24 hours, and will add some volume too. The only thing that I don’t like about this product is that it is a white powder, so if you use too much, it can leave a grayish cast on your hair, but when you use the right amount, it won’t be visible after brushing the hair. I do wish that BBlunt comes out with a colored dry shampoo like the Divine Dark variant by Batiste, after all, BBlunt is an Indian brand and should cater to us dark-haired girls.
Overall, I feel that everybody needs this product in their lives, whether you have busy mornings with no time to shampoo your hair, travel a lot with no bathrooms in sight, or live in a humid area where your roots get oily just a few hours after shampooing your hair. Priced at INR 550 for 125ml of product, this dry shampoo has a comparable price range to Batiste, so you can try it out as an alternative, maybe you will discover a new hair favourite for this Spring!
As I promised/warned earlier, I am back with the review of yet another Plum product. The Plum Green Tea Range has been around for quite some time and I have tried and really enjoyed their face lotion in the past, which is why I decided to give the Green Tea Pore-Cleansing Face Wash a go. This face wash is a blogger favourite, and here is what this blogger feels about it.
Similar to the Green Tea Lotion, this face wash is gentle, light, and refreshing. It is a clear gel-based face wash with some mild exfoliating beads embedded in it. It cleanses the skin really well but does not leave it feeling dry or stretchy. The green beads are made of cellulose and provide some extremely gentle scrubbing action which will be suitable even for sensitive skin. I also love the scent of this product range because it helps me feel more awake in the mornings.
This face wash is perfect as a daily face wash for those with normal to combination, acne-prone skin. It contains glycolic acid that is great at removing dead skin, and combined with the anti-oxidising properties of green tea, it will keep your skin acne free and will gradually lighten any acne scars too. I will say however that since it is a non-drying formula, it may be a little less effective at removing all the grease from extremely oily skin, but it works perfectly well for my combination skin.
As we are moving towards the warmer months, those with acne-prone skin will begin to struggle with more frequent breakouts. From my experience, I will recommend using the entire Green Tea range from Plum (cleansing, toning, and moisturising), to keep the acne at bay. The face wash is priced at INR 345 for 75 ml of product, which is not too expensive considering the quality, but you can also buy the whole bundle of the green tea range at a more affordable price. So do check out this range if you haven’t already and you can thank me later 🙂
I usually shy away from serums and anything that has oil in it because even if I apply something oily on my toes, it somehow manages to reach my roots and face, both of which are oily to begin with. However, the BBlunt Intense Moisture Hair Serum is something that works quite well for me despite my greasy roots. Read on to find out more about this product.
This serum is supposed to be specifically designed for Indian hair. It can be used on dry or towel dried hair and also provides heat protection, which I really like. Also, apart from heat protection, it claims to protect the hair from environmental damage as well, which is yet another attractive feature for me because while I have greasy roots, the ends of my hair tend to get frizzy and dry quite easily. The product contains many nourishing ingredients, such as avocado, jojoba, and argan oils and Vitamin-E, therefore it tames and hydrates the hair while protecting them from damage.
I use a very small coin-sized amount of the product, rub it between my fingers and then comb it through my hair, starting at the mid-lengths and moving towards the ends. Unlike most serums, this product does not weigh down my hair or make them look oily. The serum sinks in quickly into the hair and leaves behind a very subtle shine. It makes my hair smoother and softer to the touch and reduces the frizz without making the hair look limp. I also love the sweet fragrance of the product that lingers on the hair.
Overall, I am really impressed with this hair serum and will recommend it those who want to smoothen their hair without losing out on volume. The quirky blue bottle contains 75ml of product and is priced at INR 500, which seems reasonable to me considering the efficacy of the serum. Do try out this product and I am sure that you will love it too!
So Plum has been launching some really interesting products lately and I want to try them all! Brace yourself for a ton of reviews on Plum products populating your feed 🙂 Today I will talk about one of their newer releases, the Plum e-luminence Bright Mix Face Serum which is packed with a ton of nutrients for the skin. Read on to find out if this product is meant for you.
A serum is basically a concoction that is rich in skin-loving ingredients. You need to apply it to your face after cleansing and toning and follow it with a moisturiser, so as to seal the nutrients in place. The Plum e-luminence serum lives up to this definition and contains a large number of amazing ingredients such as sesame protein, aloe, vitamins e and b, chamomile, white willow, elderflower, calendula, red clover, and rose petals. It is a vegan product that contains all the plant nutrients that your skin will love. It is also free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates and all the bad stuff.
Although the brand recommends this serum for normal to dry skin, I feel that this will work really well for oily skin too because it is light-weight and water-based, as opposed to the oil-based serums that are ubiquitous in the market. It has a milky consistency, spreads very easily on the skin, and sinks in within seconds. It leaves the skin feeling hydrated, but does not leave any residue at all. It is extremely mild and light-weight but highly nourishing for the skin. You may not be able to see any visible effects of the product for a while, but your skin will gradually become more glowy, supple, and smooth. Serums do take a while to make a stark difference to your skin, but with the impressive ingredient list, your skin will definitely benefit from this addition to your skincare routine.
Overall, this is an excellent option for those who want to add a nutritive serum in their skincare regimen but do not prefer oil-based serums. The plastic packaging with a pump is extremely travel-friendly too. The serum is priced at INR 1175 for a 30ml bottle, which may seem a little expensive but serums usually are pricey and Plum runs some really great offers on their website. So do try this serum out, it will be great for the summer when you want something light-weight yet nourishing for your skin.
I know that the Nivea Lip Balms are cult favourites for many but personally, I have never really liked any of the variants that I have tried. However, I tried the Nivea Soft Rose Lip Balm for the first time a few days back and it’s absolutely amazing for extremely dry lips! Here is why this product made me do a 180-degree degree flip on my opinion about Nivea lip balms.
Firstly, I know it does not make any sense, but the sweet scent of this lip balm reminds of something from my childhood – like some pink cream biscuits that I used to love, hence the nostalgia definitely draws me to this product. Secondly, the formula is thick and nourishing, which truly heals the lips and gets rid of any dryness or flakiness. I find the formula a bit too thick for the daytime but it is perfect as a nighttime lip treatment. Also, the lip balm is very slightly tinted, which gives quite an unflattering white cast to my lips, but since I use it at night, I do not mind this in the least.
Overall, I do love this variant way more than the fruity options from the range and my lips are thanking me for applying this every evening. If you too are in the need for some intense hydration for your lips and do not mind sweet fragrances then you must give this lip balm a try!
Happy Valentine’s Day Folks! Even if you don’t believe in chocolates and teddy bears and cards, Valentine’s Day can still be a reminder to spread love, positivity, and joy in the world. Use this day to not just show your affection to your partner, but also some gratitude to your friends, family members, and domestic help. Greet a stranger with a smile, treat a stray dog to a biscuit, bring home a sapling to nurture and care for.
On a similar note, the internet can do with a bit of positivity too. Over the years, the comments sections of YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook have become toxic zones. While the haters will never stop hating, you can add a nice comment under a post that you love so that all the hate gets suppressed by the positive comments. It’s as simple as telling the content creator that you like what they have created!
Leaving you with this food for thought today and with lots of love from my end. Have a fantastic day ahead!
So I recently received a bunch of goodies from LB Industries and today I will take you through all of them. LB Industries has been an established name in the timber industry and has recently ventured into the consumer goods market with its range of health and wellness products. So here is a breakdown of all the goodies that I received.
1. O Toilet Seat Sanitizer – Toilet sanitizers are an absolute travel essential, especially for women. The O Toilet Seat Sanitizer kills germs on toilet seats, bathroom handles etc within 10 seconds, making it a saviour for those who have to use public washrooms frequently. Also, it has a refreshing tea tree oil scent that I adore. This one is definitely going into my handbag. Priced at INR 110 for a 40 ml bottle.
2. Breathe Herbal Breath Freshener – Mouth freshening sprays have been in the market since quite some time but the Breathe Herbal Breath Freshener is unique because it is sugar and propellant-free and contains herbal ingredients such as peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, and cardamom oil. It tastes like a herbal toothpaste and does an excellent job at refreshing the breath. I received this in the peppermint and meswak variants, and I love them both. Priced at INR 90 for a 15gm spray bottle.
3. O Hand Sanitizer – The O Hand Sanitizer really impressed me because this product does not dry out my hands like most of the other sanitizers that I have used in the past. It smells like a regular alcohol-based sanitizer but leaves the hands quite soft, which is great for someone like me who uses a hand sanitizer multiple times a day. Priced at INR 100 for 50 single use sachets.
4. Ray Stevia Extract – The Ray Stevia Extract contains 99.8% percent pure Stevia, a natural sweetener that contains almost zero calories per teaspoon. I haven’t used Stevia in the past but have heard many diet conscious people rave about it. Of course, it is best to consult a physician before introducing something new in your diet, particularly if you are pregnant or suffering from ailments/allergies. Priced at INR 210 for 40 1gm sachets.
5. Ray Cooking Spray – Cooking sprays are a low cal alternative to regular cooking oil because they provide the grease required for cooking with a smaller quantity of oil. One spray of the Ray Cooking Spray contains only 2 calories, making it an excellent choice for when you are preparing cutlets or similar fried snacks. Priced at INR 250 for a 200ml can.
So these were all the things that I got as a part of my LB Industries haul. You can purchase all these products from Amazon (all items linked above individually), and can follow @otoiletseatsanitizer on Instagram for more updates from the brand. Happy shopping!
Disclaimer – Samples sent by the brand, but all opinions are honest and my own.
One thing that can act as a major dampener on your wedding day is makeup gone wrong. If your eyeshadow is a bit too smoky, your lipstick a bit too vampy, or your foundation a bit too pale, you may end up cursing your makeup artist for the rest of your life- whenever you flick through your wedding album. Here are some steps that you can take to make sure that you don’t look like a cakey, pale, or over-shimmery disaster on your big day.
Decide what you want – There are a lot of factors that will determine the most suitable makeup for your bridal look. These factors include the time of the ceremony, the weather, your outfit, the wedding theme etc. Once your outfit and jewellery are decided for all the functions, skim through a few makeup looks on the internet and shortlist the ones that you like for each event. Take these images with you and discuss with your MUA whether they can work with what you have picked. This is what brings me to my second point – the makeup trial.
The Makeup Trial – If you have the time and the money, I will highly, HIGHLY recommend getting a makeup trial done. Try out multiple makeup artists if you are not satisfied with the first MUA you pick. Makeup trials allow you to gauge not only the skill of the MUA, but also whether the two of you can work with each other without guns being pulled out. Trust me, I have heard many a horror story of MUAs bullying brides and brides having emotional breakdowns due to the same. A makeup trial is the best time for the MUA to understand your preferences, and to add his or her professional expertise to make them more suitable for you. Take multiple pictures in different lighting, with and without flash, to figure out whether the final look works for you or not.
The Balancing Act – While some MUA’s can be bullies, most of them know their art well. So if they tell you that the amount of makeup that you are normally comfortable with will not show up at all in the pictures, nine times out of ten – they are right. If you are someone who doesn’t wear a lot of makeup on a daily basis then all the contouring, the false lashes, and the colourful eye shadows might overwhelm you, but remember, you are not a bride on most days. The lighting at the venue will tone down your makeup and your outfit and jewellery will balance it out. So basically, do listen to your MUA with an open mind, most of their suggestions will be right, however, if they insist on making you two shades lighter than you are or decide to put all the colours of the rainbow on your face, run for your life (which is why a makeup trial is important because who can run in their wedding shoes?).
Hair – Your hairstyle is something you might not give much thought to as compared to your clothes, your shoes, and your makeup. However, a good hairstyle can make or break your entire look. Pick a hairstyle that goes well with your makeup and outfit. This will also depend on whether you will have a chunari on your head or not, so choose accordingly.
The Venue For The Makeup – Most wedding MUA’s these days offer the option to come to your home or the wedding venue to do your makeup. However, this blessing can also be a curse in disguise. Your house or the wedding venue can be very chaotic and the environment can fluster you while getting ready. Also, the MUA could be late due to a number of reasons, which may bring out your inner bridezilla. Furthermore, the dim lighting at most hotels is quite unsuitable for getting your makeup done as you may look totally different once you step out. So unless you have a punctual MUA and a quiet, well-lit place at your home/venue, it may make more sense to visit the makeup studio, where there will be more staff, more products, and more resources in general, to get you ready on time.
Budget – Budget can be a huge determining factor in which MUA you pick but I will highly recommend selecting one that uses makeup of well-known brands. Personally, I feel that MAC products work really well for wedding makeup and are long-lasting too. If you do not find an MUA in your budget that uses MAC makeup then you can go for Lakme products instead.
All throughout winter, I used hydrating face washes that were super gentle on the skin. As the weather is becoming warmer now, I decided to invest in a face wash that is more suitable for oily skin, because that is what my face becomes in the heat – a greasy mess. I opted for the Blossom Kochhar Aroma Magic Grapefruit Face Wash and here are my thoughts on the product after using it for a few weeks.
This face wash contains grapefruit, lemon, and aloe vera extracts and is paraben free. It claims to tighten, mattify, and revitalize the skin with its vitamin C and beta carotene, and claims to be best suited for oily skin. The face wash has a gel-like consistency and a citrusy, fresh scent, it lathers pretty well and leaves the skin squeaky clean.
Personally, I find the formula a bit too mattifying, at least for my skin – it definitely tightens the pores and leaves the skin completely non-greasy but it does leave the uncomfortable stretchy feeling on my face that I am not a huge fan of. However, I am pretty sure that this product will work wonders for those with extremely greasy skin, particularly those living in very humid areas. If you do not have excessively oily skin, then perhaps you can skip this face wash or you can top it up with some intense moisturiser or serum to restore the plumpness of the skin.
The price point of INR 144 for a 100ml tube is quite affordable and the packaging of the product is super cute. For those of you who love a great mattifying face wash, this product is definitely worth a shot, and those with normal skin can also keep this handy for the days when your skin becomes extra oily out of the blue.
I strongly believe that sunscreen is the skin’s best friend and have tried a good number of sunscreens in my life, however, I had never tried anything from the Blossom Kochhar Aroma Magic Range even though I had heard great things about the products. I decided to finally rectify this and grabbed the Blossom Kochhar Aroma Magic Cucumber Sunscreen Lotion, and here is what I think about it.
There is a wide range of Aroma Magic sunscreens available in the market, with varying SPF values and consistencies. I chose the cucumber lotion because it seemed like the perfect choice for the upcoming warm season and also because I prefer a sunblock with a minimum SPF of 30. This lotion is light-weight and liquidy, it spreads like a dream on the skin and gets absorbed quickly, leaving the skin hydrated but not greasy at all – exactly what I look for in a sunscreen.
The product is an all natural mineral formula and has an earthy herbal scent that I quite like. It provides protection against UVA and UVB and also claims to lighten pigmentation. I am not too sure about the second claim though because I haven’t used the lotion long enough. It is also not waterproof, which is fine by me but may bother those who live in extremely humid regions. What I love though is that the lotion provides a semi-matte finish on the face and makeup sits really well on top of it.
The presence of nourishing ingredients such as wheatgerm, coconut, and soyabean oils as well as anti-ageing skin foods such as Vitamins B5, C, and E makes this sunscreen lotion a lot more than just a sunscreen, it is basically a wonderful day cream for normal to oily skin. The description at the back of the tube shows how much thought has actually gone into making this product and it is unbelievable that it is priced at an extremely affordable INR 160 for a 50ml tube.
Overall, I am extremely happy with this sunscreen lotion and can foresee that I will be going through multiple tubes of the product this summer. I absolutely love the quirky packaging, the affordable price point, the light-weight consistency, and the matte finish of this lotion and would highly recommend it to those who suffer from greasy skin. Now I know what the fuss is all about and absolutely stand by the words of those who sing praises of this sunscreen lotion!
I am back with part-2 of the wedding series and today we will talk all about bridal skincare, aka what products you should use, what skincare treatments are the best, and what you should avoid like a plague before you walk down the aisle. So here we go.
1. Slather On The Sunscreen – Whether you are getting married or not, using a sunscreen daily is an absolute must, especially in India. My fave sunscreen is the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. You can also use a day cream that at least has an SPF 30.
2. Drink Up And Eat Healthy – Another advice that applies to everyone in general is that you should drink plenty of water daily and should increase your intake of fruits and veggies. Home-made juices are also a good option, but please don’t drink anything that comes in a tetra pack, it is just not the same. Water will help to flush out all the toxins and the vitamins in the fruits and veggies will give you a healthy glow.
3. Remove All Makeup At Night – Not only in the days leading up to the wedding, but also during your wedding functions, when you are all dolled up, make sure to remove all traces of makeup from your face at night and then follow it up with cleansing, toning, and moisturising. Follow this rule diligently, whether you come home at 7 p.m or 3 a.m, you can thank me later. My holy grail makeup remover is Bioderma, nothing really compares to it.
4. Mask Away – Using a face mask once a week or so can make a massive difference to your skin. My current fave is the Mama Earth C3 Face Mask which is suitable for normal to oily skin and is excellent at reducing blemishes and pigmentation and providing an instant glow. Start using this at least 2-3 months prior to the big day for the best results.
5. Sleep and Eye Care – Sleeping for at least 8 hours each night is one of the best ways to have your spirits high during the hectic lead up to the wedding, and it will also keep the dark circles and puffy bags at bay. If, however, you are unable to hit the bed on time, make up for it by soothing your under eye region with slices of chilled cucumber, a metal teaspoon put in the freezer for half an hour, or some tea bags. Use a nourishing eye cream twice a day, I recommend the Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado and the Mama Earth Eye Cream – both are equally good.
6. Chemical Peels? – Many brides-to-be message me on Instagram to inquire about the efficacy of chemical peels and other intense treatments offered by salons these days. To them I say that such harsh chemicals do have a chance of damaging your skin, so better consult a dermat first. Also, I don’t think that these treatments are necessary unless you suffer from some severe acne issues. You can try acid exfoliation at home instead to lighten any scars or blemishes on the face. I recommend using the Tvakh Vitamin C Exfoliating Water and the Dr. Sheths Basic Brightening Extra Gentle Daily Peel. If your skin is used to AHA exfoliation then the AHA+BHA Peel from The Ordinary is a more potent product that you could try.
7. Pre-Bridal Facials – A pre-bridal facial can give you a beautiful glow for the wedding day but I do not think that going for multiple facials over a span of 6 months, prior to the wedding, is worth the money. I would say that follow a good skincare regimen as mentioned above and go for one facial a month before the wedding day, so that you can make sure that your skin is not sensitive to the products being used. Then go for the same facial a day or two before the wedding. I would suggest not trying anything new on your face during the week before the wedding. So get a trial facial and your makeup trial done at least a month in advance.
8. To Bleach Or Not To Bleach – Most makeup artists and salon professionals insist that bleaching the face is quite important to get a smoother finish with your wedding makeup. Personally, I am not an advocate for bleaching but I did get my face bleached for my wedding day. If you are not comfortable with the idea then put your foot down at the salon and go for a deep exfoliation instead. If you are ok with bleaching your face then make sure you have tested that particular bleach well in advance. The salon I opted for used Oxy Bleach and it didn’t irritate my skin at all.
9. Hair Removal – Get your threading and waxing done at least a day or two before your Mehendi ceremony, and please don’t try a hair removal technique that you have never tried on your body before. Just don’t baffle your skin with anything new in general.